About Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Omega-3 fatty acids, also known as polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), are essential fatty acids that are implicated in several bodily functions. However, the body cannot make these fatty acids, making it necessary to get the required amounts from food (e.g. fatty fish) or supplementation. Omega-3 fatty acids can be found in fish, such as salmon, cod, tuna, and halibut, other seafood including algae and krill, some plants, and nut oils. Although Omega-3 fatty acids play a crucial role in supporting cardiovascular and joint health, they are also extremely important for brain function as well as normal growth and development.
Ethyl Ester (EE) versus Triglyceride (TG) forms of Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Most fish oil supplements are either available in Ethyl Ester form or the Triglyceride form. Structurally, the major difference between the two forms is that in Ethyl Ester, the fatty acids (EPA & DHA) are esterified to an ethanol backbone, while in TG, the fatty acids are esterified to a glycerol alcohol backbone; there are absolutely no differences in the two forms of fish oil in terms of stability. The vast majority of clinical studies examining supplemental Omega-3s have been performed on the Ethyl Ester form and results from studies comparing the relative bioavailability of the EE form versus the TG form have found increased bioavailability of the TG form in the short-term (2 weeks), but this difference disappears when fish oil is routinely supplemented and a steady state has been achieved over a longer period of time.
The scientific evidence currently available does not point to any significant differences between the two forms in terms of bioavailability or health benefits when taken over extended periods of time (which is the norm for most individuals) and the decision to supplement with the TG form versus the EE form is, in most cases, a matter of personal preference.
Health Benefits of Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- Supports overall cardiovascular health*
- Supports cognitive function*
- Supports joint health*
- Supports vision health*
- Supports positive mood and emotional health*
TG Omega-3 Gold (as TG) (1,000 mg, 180 softgels)
Product ID: NGL4569
|Omega-3 Gold - Triglyceride (700 mg Omega-3s per Softgel) (Pharmaceutical Grade 70% Omega-3 Fish Oil) - 1,000 mg (180 softgels) by NutriGold|
|You Save:||$26.66 (40% off)|
|Availability:||*** OUT OF STOCK ***|
- Triglyceride Omega-3 Gold® Highlights
- A premium fish oil concentrate providing the highest amounts of EPA and DHA in natural Triglyceride form per softgel
- Pharmaceutical grade fish oil concentrate sourced from certified sustainable wild-caught Alaska pollock, found in deep, cold, pure Alaskan ocean waters
- IFOS 5-Star Certified for meeting GOED, CRN & WHO standards for purity, potency, and freshness
- Contains 1,400 mg of the essential EPA and DHA fatty acids in each 2,000 mg serving
- Molecularly distilled, independently tested, and guaranteed by a third-party lab to be free of heavy metals, Dioxins, PCBs, and toxins
- Independently verified by third-party labs to free of allergens, GMOs, and radioactive contaminants
- 100% product of the USA - most of the Fish Oil products currently sold in the US are from fish that are caught in the warm, Atlantic waters off the coast of South America, processed and extracted in manufacturing facilities off the coast of Norway, and encapsulated in the USA
- Triglyceride Omega-3 Gold® Key Health Benefits: Helps support brain, joint, heart, skin and eye health*
Suggested UsageAs a dietary supplement, adults take two (2) softgels daily with food, or as directed by a healthcare professional.
|Total Fat||2 g||4%*|
|Molecularly Distilled Fish Oil||2,000 mg||†|
|Total Omega-3 Fatty AcidsΩ||1,400 mg||†|
| Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA)
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA)
Other Omega-3 Acids
|*Percent Daily Value is based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
†Daily Values not established.
ΩExpressed as triglycerides.
CautionPlease consult a healthcare professional before taking this supplement if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, taking any medications, or planning any medical procedure. Store in original container away from moisture and direct sunlight. Keep out of reach of children.
Frequently Asked Questions about Omega-3
What are Omega-3 Fatty Acids?
Omega-3 fatty acids are essential fatty acids because they perform a number of essential functions in the body. Also known as polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), Omega-3 fatty acids play an important role in supporting heart, joint, and cognitive health.
What is the recommended dosage of Omega-3 fatty acids?
The typical American diet is rich in Omega-6 fatty acids and low in Omega-3 fatty acids, making supplementation necessary. Depending on the reason for taking a Fish Oil supplement, recommended dosages can range from 500 mg to 3000 mg (3g). Doses exceeding 3000 mg a day, either from diet or supplementation, can actually increase risk of internal bleeding and should only be taken in consultation with and under the guidance of a healthcare professional. If you have or suspect a medical condition, please talk to your doctor before starting any kind of supplementation.
Is Omega-3 safe for long-term use?
When taken as directed in conjunction with a sensible diet and exercise program, Omega-3 is generally recognized as safe (GRAS). However, caution is always advised in individuals who have or suspect a medical condition.
What are the contraindications for Omega-3?
Individuals who are or plan to become pregnant, are or plan to be breastfeeding, those with a known or suspected medical condition, and those currently taking or planning to take prescription or OTC medications for any medical condition should use Fish Oil supplements only under the guidance of a healthcare professional. Individuals with a known or suspected allergy to fish and/or other ingredients in the fish oil supplement should find alternative ways to supplement their diets with Omega-3.
Does Omega-3 interact with any prescription medications?
Because Fish Oil may increase fasting blood glucose levels, diabetic individuals currently taking or planning to take diabetic medications should take Fish Oil only under the supervision of their healthcare provider. Fish Oil may also interact with supplements and medications that lower blood pressure, block the absorption of fats to effect weight loss, and birth control pills. As a general rule, please do not self-diagnose, self-treat, or self-medicate, if you know or suspect a medical condition.
View Our Top Sellers In:
May We Suggest:
- Omega-3 Gold - Triple Strength (1,050 mg Pharmaceutical Grade Omega-3s as TG per Softgel)
Product ID: NGL4518
- Omega-3 + CoQ10 + Vitamin D3 GOLD (Ultimate 3-in1 Formula)
Product ID: NGL4534
- Omega-3 Fish Oil
Product ID: NAT3204
- RxOmega-3 Factors (400/200)
Brand: Natural Factors
Product ID: NFS3206
- Omega Fish Oil
Brand: New Chapter
Product ID: NCP3203
- RxOmega-3 Factors (Fish/Flax Oil)
Brand: Natural Factors
Product ID: NFS3209